Monday, May 24, 2010

Meaning of the song Alegria?

Now I know that the song Alegria in written in 3 languages, Italian (1st stanza), English (2nd stanza), Spanish (3rd stanza)... I want to know if the meanings in Italian and Spanish are exactly the same as the English... If not, what does the Italian part and the Spanish part mean?

Meaning of the song Alegria?
hi;I'm the one who gave you the lyric. since I speak the 3 languages, I can tell you that the meaning is the same, there are just a couple of words that means something a little bit different, but I thnk it has been done just to keep the rhythm.





bye
Reply:It´s not exactly the same. I mean, not literally the same. But as an spanish speaker, and as far as I understand english and italian, I think the poetic meaning is the same.


Spanish and italian stanzas use comparatives clauses (beginning in "come" for italian, and in "como" for spanish). Correspondence between these stanzas is almost literal, with some minor differences (italian "pazzo gridar" = a crazy or foolish screaming; confronted to spanish "un payaso que grita" = a clown who screams).


Correspondence with english is not literal, but you can find the same ideas. I think the major difference is that english stanza use the first person (I, me): It is joy as "I" feel it. In Italian and spanish versions, this feeling of joy is not limited to one person.


No comments:

Post a Comment